cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade core

froggerdata7
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to upgrade the core switch from a Catalyst 4506 to a 6509.  Being that the 4506 is currently the VTP server, how would you recreate teh 6509 to become the new VPT server?  Would I bring them both online and configure the 6509 as a server too, but make sure the config and vlan.dat file was deleted?  Or is that still risky?

I was also thinking, if I disable the trunk to my other client switches and have only my 4506 and 6509 online, make the 6509 a client switch.  Once the VLAN information propogates, power off the 4506 and reconfigure the 6509 as the VTP server, followed by connecting the other client switches.  Would that work? 

I would like to learn the best practice for this procedure, so I do it the right way.

7 Replies 7

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Duplicate posts.

I didn't know it took so long for the posts to come up, so I thought I made a mistake posting.  My mistake.

I'm looking to do a straight swap.  We have some performance issues on the line cards on the 4506, so I want to pull it out completely.  Plus that switch is old, and we need the capactiy of the 6500 series.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you looking to replace the 4506 with the 6509 straight away, i.e a straight swap or run the 6500 in tandem whilst migrating across slowly?

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco has released the 6800 series to replace the 6500 series. It uses the same Sup2T.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps715/index.html

Cisco will offer trade in on your 4500 series too.

froggerdata7
Level 1
Level 1

I wish we could get a 6800 series in here.  The upper management people are cheap!  I barely convinced them to get this 6500 in here.  They only see $$$ and nothing else.  But when the network is down, they ask why?

PM sent

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card