cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade fantray cat6506 with sup720 (urgent)

pbogaerts
Level 1
Level 1

For the upgrade of a catalyst 6506 i received a fantray with the name C6506-E-FAN can i use it in my cat6506 ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I haven't got a 6500 with this setup but Cisco made sure that when they replaced the original chassis with the E-chassis you could still order the high speed fan trays for the 6500 chassis (FAN2). This suggests that an E-FAN is not compatible with the original chassis otherwise i'm not sure why they would continue to make them available.

See attached sheet for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8035ece4.html

Satish - do you have a 6500 with this setup ?

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

In this link it is not clear for me that you can use it, i must be 100% sure that i can put it in een WS-C6506.

Thanks,

Peter

In this link it is not clear for me that you can use it, i must be 100% sure that i can put it in een WS-C6506.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi

I haven't got a 6500 with this setup but Cisco made sure that when they replaced the original chassis with the E-chassis you could still order the high speed fan trays for the 6500 chassis (FAN2). This suggests that an E-FAN is not compatible with the original chassis otherwise i'm not sure why they would continue to make them available.

See attached sheet for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8035ece4.html

Satish - do you have a 6500 with this setup ?

Jon

Hi!

I acctually have the excact same problem (6506 non E-chassi and an E-series fan tray) did you ever get any clarity regarding this?

Or does anyone else know?

Charlie

The "WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2" is the fantray for the catalyst 6506, you can not put a fan tray of the 6506E in the chassis of a 6506, the connection with the backplane is different (connector is not in the same place), also the kind of fan that is used is different in a 6506E 48V fan in the 6506 12V fan. The code for the fan tray of the 6506E is "WS-C6506-E-FAN" fan tray. Hope this help you.

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card