cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS on 6509E

Jim Poling
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently gotten a 6509E, with dual Sup720's.   It is currently running s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF14.bin, and I'm trying to get it to the most current level.  

From what I see it goes to 12.2(33)SXH5 but when I go to download the next update Release 12.2(18)SXF15, I see: s72033-mp001-patch.122-18.SXF15

What do I do with this file?  It is a patch, but how do I execute it to update the current .bin file I am booting off of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jim Poling

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jim,

That's a modular download, you don't want that.

The correct navigation path is:

Campus LAN Switches - Core and Distribution -> Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches -> Cisco Catalyst 6509-E Switch -> Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 / MSFC3-> IOS Software-12.2.33-SXI11(ED)

And Yes, I recommend SXI over SXJ

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The final IOS release for the SXF train is SXF17b and this was released back in 29 March 2011.

You may want to consider investigating upgrading to SXJ5 or 15.1(1)SY1.

Make sure you read the Release Notes of the version you choose so you can determine if your hardware and line cards can and is supported in the IOS version you intend to run.

Leo,

Thanks for your reply.  

I would like to know what to do with the 20 meg download.   Its not a .bin file, so I'm not sure what I need to do with it?  Do I rename it to a .bin file and change my boot command to boot off of the filename: s72033-mp001-patch.122-18.SXF15 ?

Thanks!

-Jim Poling

Jim,

That's a modular download, you don't want that.

The correct navigation path is:

Campus LAN Switches - Core and Distribution -> Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches -> Cisco Catalyst 6509-E Switch -> Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 / MSFC3-> IOS Software-12.2.33-SXI11(ED)

And Yes, I recommend SXI over SXJ

Edison,

Thanks so much.  That was exactly the problem.   I was going down the wrong tree.

Thanks!

-Jim Poling

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card