cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS on VSS pair

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I have 2 6513-E switches with Supervisor 2T modules.

They are in a VSS-SSO pair, and I need to upgrade the IOS from 15.1.1(SY) to the latest.

The documentation I am seeing does not take into account the E chassis or the Supervisor 2T, so I am a bit confused on how this is done (there is no slavedisk, etc.)

Anyone have an upgrade procedure for this setup?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Colin,

The upgrade should be the same as any other upgrade on a VSS setup, the fact that you have SUP2T and  E chassis should not change the procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15.0SY/configuration/guide/virtual_switching_systems.html#wp1341260

Table 4-1     VSS Hardware Requirements

Hardware

Count

Requirements

Chassis

All chassis supported in Cisco IOS Release 15.0SY support VSS mode.

Note The two chassis need not be identical.

Supervisor Engines

Either two VS-SUP2T-10G or two VS-SUP2T-10G-XL supervisor engines.

The two supervisor engines must match exactly.

Switching Modules

2+

VSS mode support as shown in the Release Notes.

VSS mode does not support 61xx switching modules. In VSS mode, unsupported switching modules remain powered off.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

You got it.  That is the easiest way to do upgrade a VSS pair specially if you effort to have 1/5 hour of down time.  Copy the image to both bootdisk and salvebootdisk, set your boot variable, save the config and reboot.

You will be back in business is less than 15 minutes. Of course, you want a longer outage window just in case.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Colin,

The upgrade should be the same as any other upgrade on a VSS setup, the fact that you have SUP2T and  E chassis should not change the procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15.0SY/configuration/guide/virtual_switching_systems.html#wp1341260

Table 4-1     VSS Hardware Requirements

Hardware

Count

Requirements

Chassis

All chassis supported in Cisco IOS Release 15.0SY support VSS mode.

Note The two chassis need not be identical.

Supervisor Engines

Either two VS-SUP2T-10G or two VS-SUP2T-10G-XL supervisor engines.

The two supervisor engines must match exactly.

Switching Modules

2+

VSS mode support as shown in the Release Notes.

VSS mode does not support 61xx switching modules. In VSS mode, unsupported switching modules remain powered off.

Hope this helps.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The primary VSS device is bootdisk and for the stand-by it is slavebootdisk.

What the output of dir flash?

HTH

Ah OK

So I can copy the new image into both the bootdisk: and slavebootdisk:, modify the boot system statement, and the reload the chassis?

It will be done after-hours, so I can have some downtime.

You got it.  That is the easiest way to do upgrade a VSS pair specially if you effort to have 1/5 hour of down time.  Copy the image to both bootdisk and salvebootdisk, set your boot variable, save the config and reboot.

You will be back in business is less than 15 minutes. Of course, you want a longer outage window just in case.

HTH

Perfect. thanks for the help guys.

Glad to help.  Thanks for the rating

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card