Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS Switch Cisco 2950 flash memory

stagiairesie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to upgrade the IOS of my switch Cisco 2950. It's a WS-C2950T-48-SI with the IOS:

“c2950-i6q412-mz.121-22.EA8a.bin” and ineed to upgrade at “c2950-i6q4l2-tar.121-22.EA14.tar” but there wrote: “Min Memory: DRAM 16 MB Flash 8 MB”.

When I do “show flash” I have 7741440 bytes total (2845696 bytes free)

I need to know if it’s possible to install this IOS ?

Thank you

Show version:

Show flash:

7 Replies 7

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am pretty sure you are not going to be able to upgrade to this IOS version, because the Flash required by the image is more than your total amount of flash, i.e. you have less than 8MB Flash and you need a minimum of 8MB of flash, which bear in mind you also need to share with other things like vlan database and startup-config.

Very best wishes

Mike

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, it's possible.  Obtain the .bin image of the new IOS, which should be about 3 MB, and free enough flash space to load it.  (You might remove the running IOS or you might remove the HTML directory structure.)

These switches only had enough room for 1 image so you have to remove the existing  IOS file  and then load the new one .  Obviously make sure there is no power interuption once you remove the existing IOS. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2950 flash has room to deploy one "full" IOS (with HTML subdirectory) and one IOS BIN file or two BIN files.  

So all you have to do is copy the BIN file into the main directory and change the boot variable string.  

stagiairesie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies.

If I understand what you told me I should do these commands:

Commands Switch CISCO 2950T-48-SI:

/*Save*/
Switch#copy running-config tftp
Switch#copy startup-config tftp
Switch#copy running-config startup-config
Switch#copy flash tftp

Switch#show flash
/*Remove old IOS*/
Switch#delete flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA8a.bin

/*Remove interface WEB*/
Switch#delete flash:html/*

/*Extract .tar in flash memory*/
Switch#archive tar /x tftp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/c2950-i6q4l2-tar.121-22.EA14.tar flash:

/*Load of new IOS*/
Switch#configure terminal
Switch(config)#boot system flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA14.bin

/*Reboot*/
Switch#reload

After that the switch is operational with a new IOS and the configuration is the same as before.

Do you think is good ?

Thank you very much

Cyril

Hi Cyril, 

You are making a simple process difficult.  

Try this: 

1.  Save the config FIRST; 

2.  Copy the config to your TFTP server; 

3.  Delete the HTML sub-folder; 

4.  Copy the new IOS BIN file into the switch flash; 

5.  Change the boot variable statement;

6.  Reboot.

Thank you Leo, but if i do what you say i will not have web interface. I need a web interface and the new ios.

To change the boot variable, i need this command :

Switch#configure terminal
Switch(config)#boot system flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA14.bin

?

Thank you

Cyril

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card