Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Power Supply on Cat 6506 form 3000W to 6000W

Stefan Sawluk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks.

I have to upgrade my power supplys in my cat 6506-E Switches from 3000W to 6000W. The 3000W PS are in redundancy mode. When i now change one 3000W to a 6000W do i have there downtime? 

Regards Stefan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Stefan,

I suggest changing the power redundancy to combined before replacing the PS units. As in redundancy mode when chassis detects different wattage power supplies it error-disables the lower wattage PS unit. So it should be like this:

1. Change the power redundancy mode to combined

2. Replace the PS units

3. When both the PS slots will have 6000W power supplies, configure the power redundancy mode to redundant again.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Stefan,

I suggest changing the power redundancy to combined before replacing the PS units. As in redundancy mode when chassis detects different wattage power supplies it error-disables the lower wattage PS unit. So it should be like this:

1. Change the power redundancy mode to combined

2. Replace the PS units

3. When both the PS slots will have 6000W power supplies, configure the power redundancy mode to redundant again.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Hello Rajeevsh. 

Thank you for your replay. I have read this, that the lower PS will disabled when i plug in a higher wattage PS. But its good to know that i have to change the mode. When i change this i don´t have downtime?

Regards Stefan

Hey Stefan,

With this method there will be no downtime :)

Regards,

RS.

Hey Guys.

Everything worked great. I had no downtime. 

Stefan

Happy to help :)

Regards,

RS.

Hello Stefan, i want to know if you already change the PS. 

Did you have any downtime with this procedure?

Hi. No, I think i will test this next week. 

Regards Stefan

Ok, i would appreciate if you let me know the results.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card