Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 3560 IOS

I am attempting to upgrade/changing IOS.

I have the IOS on a TFTP server, (Laptop), which is connected to the 3560 using a rollover cable to console and a crossover cable in gig 0/1, set up with switchport access Vlan 1. Vlan 1 is configured with ip address XXX.XXX.27.61 255.255.255.0, and default gateway of XXX.XXX.27.1. I really don't think I need the gateway.

Laptop, XXX.XXX.27.60 255.255.255.0 gateway of XXX.XXX.27.1.

I can ping using conslole or telnet to and from XXX.XXX.27.60 and 61.

I can trace only from laptop (27.60) to switch (27.61) but get the 30 hopps going from the switch to the laptop.

Tried to TFTP to laptop with copy runn.... to TFTP and get a time out.

Same results weather I use a crossover cable or a straight thru cable. Get a green light on the switch when either cable is connected.

I can and have up graded the IOS while having another test 3560 connected to the network, I do not want to connect 40 or so switches to the network to do this procedure. Thanks before hand and look forward to finding out what I missed on the configuration. -- Pat

8 Replies 8

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

First, you shouldn't be using a crossover cable. Secondly this may sound silly but check to make sure there are no typos for the ip address and subnet mask on the switch and laptop.

What does the output show for the following?

sh int gi0/1

sh int vlan1

Okay no cross over cable attached are the results of the sho commands. Ip's were/are correct. Thanks

Looks all good there. Interfaces are showing up/up. Can you post the results of a:

sh run

Please see attached.

Can you telnet to 27.61 from the laptop?

If so, unless your tftp server software is setup to write files the command copy running-config tftp://???.???.???.???/xxxxx.xxx would time out.

Ensure your tftp server software is setup to read from the directory storing the upgraded IOS software and issue the command:

archive download-sw /allow-feature-upgrade /overwrite tftp://xxx.xxx.27.60/

Can you telnet to 27.61 from the laptop?

Yes.

I'm gonna download another copy of TFTP server and launch it. I am using SolorWinds ver 9.2.0.111

I have never tried SolorWinds I prefer 3Com Daemon. Very easy to use and setup.

Software can be found here:

http://support.3com.com/software/3cdv2r10.zip

Sir,

I have down loaded the 3com software. Let me work with this and get back to the forum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card