cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 6509 from Sup II to Sup 720's

mrbelcher
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any caveats that I should be aware of during this process. I am aware of the change in the slots, but is there any issues that I can expect to encounter?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

I don't recall any specific caveats with regard to this upgrade. Only thing is that if your chassis is not an "E" chassies i.e. 65xx-E, then you may have to upgrade the fan as the default fan option in the older chassis ios not sufficient for the cooling requirements.

You may also have to look at your power supply WRT the new SUP requirements combined with your other card requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_qas09186a0080159963.html

Regards,

Niranjan

(pls rate if helpful)

Since the 6509 is running IOS, will there be any issues with the Vlans or VTP that I need to watch out for?

hi!

This upgradation shouldnot cause any problems to vlans or VTP ( assuming that you change the vlan port assignment / config to account for slot changes of line cards if any.)

Regards,

Niranjan

sw1
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded SupII to Sup720's on a considerable number of 6500's. The slot numbers will change from 1/2 to 5/6. We needed to upgrade our PSU's to 3000W 16Amp power supplies. Fan tray upgrades were required together with using the 6500-E chassis.

Remember also that you will need to install the new Sup's in slots 5/6. Since this is the case the configuration will need to be modified accordingly. Hope this helps.

Regards

Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card