cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 6509 to VS-S720-10G-3C SUP

scottbob09
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of upgrading our hybrid 6509's to new VS-S720-10G-3C sups 4000W PS's and Highspeed fantry. I replaced the power today and that went well. My questions for the group are:

1- Can I replace the fantray with the system online?

2- Can I remove 1 SUP2/MSFC2 (we have redundant sups) insert 1 new 720 configure it via console and then shutdown and boot into the new sup running native?

Thanks!

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

1. In my practical experience, you can have the chassis running upto 3-5 minutes without the Fantray before system reports the critical situation and shuts down. If you can manage the time within the specified window you should be fine.

2. My suggestion, remove the standby sup, put Sup 720, it will go into unknown state. Connect console configure it the way you want. Once the configuration is donw, then reload the actuve sup, the system will fall back on Sup720, once it is up you can remove the older sup2 and insert the redundant Sup 720.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

1. In my practical experience, you can have the chassis running upto 3-5 minutes without the Fantray before system reports the critical situation and shuts down. If you can manage the time within the specified window you should be fine.

2. My suggestion, remove the standby sup, put Sup 720, it will go into unknown state. Connect console configure it the way you want. Once the configuration is donw, then reload the actuve sup, the system will fall back on Sup720, once it is up you can remove the older sup2 and insert the redundant Sup 720.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Well...

#1- No problem. Swapped fine.

#2- Dont do it.

-------------------------------------------

SUPERVISOR CARD MISMATCH DETECTED IN FABRIC SLOT!!!

Cannot continue...disabling autoboot and resetting

-------------------------------------------

So, the switch rebooted into rommon and I could get the catos to boot but the ios wouldnt. I had to start from scratch on the new 720.

Bummer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card