Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Upgrading Cisco IOS software on 6513

I'm trying to TFTP and an updated Cisco IOS image (s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF4.bin) to our 6513 with Solaris TFTP-Server, but it states that the file is too large to transfer. I'm using my laptop connected via console connection and ethernet connection. I can ping my laptop from Hyperterminal when connected to the SUP720 and I copied the bootflash locally to my laptop, so I know that there's definately a connection.

Is there other software I can use?

Please help.

Cisco Employee

Re: Upgrading Cisco IOS software on 6513

Hi Friend,

Sometimes there is a problem in doing a tftp for big size files. Instead of tftp try ftp and I belive it should work.

Also to make sure about the connection can you try to ping from your laptop dos prompt to the ip address of your switch.

Check this link to try for copying files via ftp

Community Member

Eureka! I found TFTPD32 Version 3.03 from and it worked.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Community Member

I always use Pumpkin. Try that. It will take care of your problem with the file size.

The download link is over on the right hand side of the page under TFTP Server and Client.

Community Member

Never use TFTP, always use FTP. TFTP craps out around the 32MD limitation, the limitation is more or less on the hardware side. If you use FTP you may never go back to TFTP. What I do is simply install the FTP service to my PC from the Windows XP disk, the copy the .bin file to c:\inetpub\ftproot and make sure the FTP service is started. The precedure is exactly the same with using TFTP. Make sure your permissions are for anonymous only for read permissions. Cisco routers will use anonymous automatically for authentication. FTP file size limitations are virtually limitless. The transfer speed is 100 times faster also.

CreatePlease to create content