cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading firmware question

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Well, I have very little experience with the 6000 with a MSFC card in it, which is what I found out today that this switch has. My question is this: if I upgrade the switch CatOS firmware, do I have to upgrade the MSFC firmware as well?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi John,

CatOS image is used as the system software to run the Supervisor Engine on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. If the optional MSFC is installed, a separate Cisco IOS Software image is used to run the MSFC (so no relation between both). This combination is called a Hybrid mode.

Did you think about converting the switch from CatOS to IOS --> Cisco IOS Software on both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC (Native): a single Cisco IOS Software image can be used as the system software to run both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi John,

CatOS image is used as the system software to run the Supervisor Engine on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. If the optional MSFC is installed, a separate Cisco IOS Software image is used to run the MSFC (so no relation between both). This combination is called a Hybrid mode.

Did you think about converting the switch from CatOS to IOS --> Cisco IOS Software on both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC (Native): a single Cisco IOS Software image can be used as the system software to run both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card