cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS on a catalyst 6509 running integrated IOS

simonvyrdal
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade the IOS on a catalyst 6509 running integrated IOS.

The current image is stored in sup-bootflash. I like to have this image available if the reload with the new IOS should fail.

QUESTION: Will the 6509 boot on the new IOS if it is placed in bootflash and I code

boot system flash bootflash:new-IOS

boot system flash sup-bootflash:old-IOS

Thanks Simon

gwone4#sh file sys

File Systems:

Size(b) Free(b) Type Flags Prefixes

65536000 25572008 flash rw sup-bootflash:

65536000 65536000 flash rw bootflash:

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

In short, Yes.

It is always a good idea to keep your previous IOS available, in flash if possible, but tftp or other means if no flash avaialable.

As long as you have enough free space for the image, as it looks like you do, you can load the IOS to the flash/bootflash and create your boot system commands to point to the new IOS, in the order you require.

View solution in original post

Yes, as Greg says, as long as you have the space you should be fine.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

simonvyrdal
Level 1
Level 1

Jon. Right copy and paste :)

So booting the new image from bootflash should be OK ??

Yes, as Greg says, as long as you have the space you should be fine.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simon

Yes with the boot system flash... configuration you can specifiy which order you want the IOS versions tried so you should be fine.

Just make sure that you are accurate in your typing or cut and paste, can't count the number of times i've had to retype it in :-)

Jon

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

In short, Yes.

It is always a good idea to keep your previous IOS available, in flash if possible, but tftp or other means if no flash avaialable.

As long as you have enough free space for the image, as it looks like you do, you can load the IOS to the flash/bootflash and create your boot system commands to point to the new IOS, in the order you require.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card