cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Supervisor Engine on 4006?

dkraut
Level 1
Level 1

I have an older 4006 with a Supervisor II+.  We now need OSPF support, which the Sup II+ does not provide.  I have access to a Supervisor III (WS-X4014), which will provide OSPF support.  Question is, are there any gotchas to shutting down the switch, replacing Supervisor Engines and then powering up?  What about the flash card?  On my current system, it appears that I am only using bootflash: , which is where the IOS resides (see below).  Since my startup config is in nvram and my IOS is in bootflash, what's the purpose of the flash card in slot0: ?  and where does NVRAM and bootflash actually live on a 4006 ( on the Supervisor Engine?)  Thanks!  

sh bootvar

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-31.SGA11.bin,1;,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x102

sh mod
Chassis Type : WS-C4006

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model             
---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------
1     2  Supervisor II+ 1000BaseX (GBIC)        WS-X4013+   
2     6  1000BaseX (GBIC)                                 WS-X4306-GB       
3    48  10/100BaseTX (RJ45)                          WS-X4148-RJ       
4    48  10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)                   WS-X4448-GB-RJ45  
5    48  10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)                   WS-X4448-GB-RJ45  
6    48  10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)                   WS-X4448-GB-RJ45  

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The startup config sits on the NVRAM of your current sup.  So you can't just replace the sup without first copying the config from the old sup.  The other thing that you need to be aware is the compatibility of the chassis with your new sup and also the existing line card with the new sup.  Overall, you really need to do your homework before making this change, as it could cause a long outage and end up putting the old sup back in the switch.

HTH

Thanks Reza.  How can one actually tell if the "WS-X4014" Sup is compatible with a Chassis Type : WS-C4006 chassis and line cards noted in my show mod? 

How can one actually tell if the "WS-X4014" Sup is compatible with a Chassis Type : WS-C4006 chassis and line cards noted in my show mod?

The Sup 3 is supported on the 4006 chassis.  Any card the Sup 2, Sup 2+ supports will be supported by the Sup 3.

dkraut
Level 1
Level 1

Great info, thanks guys!

I used software Advisor to download  cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EWA14.bin (which claims OSPF support).  I'll copy my startup config from the current Sup II to my tftp server.  The newer Sup III I have does not have any config on it so after I install it, I'll configure basic IP connectivity to one of the ethernet ports and download the new IOS to bootflash, point to it using "boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EWA14.bin" and then copy my startup config from tftp server to nvram.  Reload and cross my fingers.    Does that sound like it will work?

I went ahead and performed the upgrade this weekend.  Pretty much went as planned above and I now have OSPF support.  Cheers!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card