cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading to a bigger switch

DonnaJ
Level 1
Level 1

We will be replacing one of our 24 port switches with a 48 port one.

Is there a way for me to import the old settings and tweak them? Or will I have to reconfigure all the settings on the new switch? I have never set one of these up before. So please let me know what info you need from me. I would greatly appreciate your help.

New Switch:

Cisco Catalyst 3560 with Standard Image, 48 - 10/100 Power over Ethernet (PoE) Ports and 4 - SFP GBIC Ports

Old Switch:

Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switch - 24 ports

The configuration on the old switch is attached.

7 Replies 7

srue
Level 7
Level 7

you can copy / paste all the switchport interface configs into the new switch.

most of your config can be copied over...don't copy over the rsa key.

Do you have any other switches in your network?

You need to make sure vtp remains stable...

show vtp status

On this portion of the network, the only other switches are the ones that make up our Core Stack. So can I just copy the running config on the old switch with tftp and then copy the file to running config to the start config on the new switch? We'll this work? Is there anything else I need to do? rsa key, vtp? Do I need to tweak it so these match?

I'm getting some mixed info and I haven't done this before. It doesn't sound to hard. I just want to make sure I'm clear.

Thanks,

DJ

caliber01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure whether i have understood your question properly.

but if your looking to have the same configs of your old switch config to your new switch . And you dont want to set it up from the scratch.

copy the startup config from the old switch by using tftp. And then copy it to the startup config of the new switch.

So, it doesn't matter that it's not the same kind of switch? I mean they are both cisco's but different models. Thanks for the help!

DJ

It should work without any flaws....even though model number differs ...

DonnaJ
Level 1
Level 1

I've attached the core stack incase you need to view it.

Regards,

DJ

A couple points:

1) This is a stack of 4 switches, one of which is a 24 port switch. You can switch them out hot, but usually on the 3750s it'll come up as a new unit, and you may have to play fun and games to convince it otherwise.

2) Your 24 port switch is unit 4, all ports of which have the same (default) config, so there's nothing really to port over.

3) You may want to upgrade your admin password types - you're still using the old type 7 which are trivially cracked (there are websites that do it with a mouse click)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: