cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplinking 3com switches

chriscurley
Level 1
Level 1

Can I have clarification on this from any user please. I have 7 3com 4400 switches uplinked to each other using 1 gig cascade modules. I have recently purchase a Cisco 2960 48 port 10/100/1000 switch and want to uplink the 3coms to it. Is it correct that I simply need to set the ip of the cisco to the same range, disconnect the cascade modules (why?) between the 3coms and simply uplink them invidually to the cisco switch? Thanks in advance

chris

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

Its not neccesary to uplink all the 3COM's to 2960. What is your overall requirement. How many vlans are there on the 3com stack. If you are running multiple vlans on the 3Com stack, then you can simply create a trunk link to 2960 bu tagging all of the vlans except vlan1. Cisco 2960 has vlan1 bydefault as untagged on trunkports. You have the set the management vlan IP on the 2960 to be the same as 3Com's.

Let me know if you need any clarifications.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks for the reply amit,

Unfortunately I am not very much up to spped on VLANS but currently we are not operating under multiple VLANS. While I can see your expertise greatly exceeds mine, for the moment I am simply looking to interconnect all switches. I realise now my question was a bit dumb regarding the questioning of why the 3coms should have seperate uplinks, individual uplinks will give me 1 gig connections per unit. If you would be kind enough to confirm that the option of uplinking each of the 3coms switches to the Cisco will work with straight through cables, I would appreciate it. The reasoning behind this configuration is to provide our 1 gig devices 1 gig connectivity, ie put priority devices on the better cisco switch, lesser devices on the 3com switches and hopefully still have 1gig uplinks to the 3com switches.

I am also open to suggested improvement on the existing set up, but initially would just like to interconnect..

Many thanks.

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card