cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upload IOS

vsurinovich
Level 1
Level 1

I attempting to upload IOS to a FLASH drive on Cisco router 2821 via console.

But I'm getting a failure message:

"ARP: address resolution for 216.214.47.112 timed out.

ARP failed with failure code 1. TFTP transfer aborted."

Here is the input:

IP_ADDRESS=216.214.47.70

rommon 7 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

rommon 8 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=216.214.47.1

rommon 9 > TFTP_SERVER=216.214.47.112

rommon 10 > TFTP_FILE=c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-17a.bin

rommon 11 > tftpdnld

And here is the output:

IP_ADDRESS: 216.214.47.70

IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 216.214.47.1

TFTP_SERVER: 216.214.47.112

TFTP_FILE: c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-17a.bin

TFTP_VERBOSE: Progress

TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: 18

TFTP_TIMEOUT: 7200

TFTP_CHECKSUM: Yes

TFTP_MACADDR: 00:15:63:8f:4a:c0

GE_PORT: Gigabit Ethernet 0

GE_SPEED_MODE: Auto

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.

WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!

Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y

ARP: address resolution for 216.214.47.112 timed out.

ARP failed with failure code 1. TFTP transfer aborted.

TFTP: Operation terminated prematurely.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Vlad.

26 Replies 26

Vlad

I believe that the suggestions made by Vaibhav are very good - you should get into privilege mode, then you should format the flash, and if that is successful then you should copy tftp flash to get the image from the TFTP server onto the flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, xmodem -cry worked. Now I have a user ID and password prompts. Could you remind me what's initial Cisco credentials. And also I'm not sure where is OS located now and if I can reboot the router.

Thank you,

Vlad.

I figured out the credentials :-) cisco/cisco

But still not sure if I can reload the router.

Vlad.

Vlad

Have you taken the steps to format the flash and to copy the IOS from the TFTP server into flash? If you have not done these things then it will create the problem again if you reload the router.

A simple way to answer this question is that if you do show flash and it displays an image file in flash then it is ok to reload. If it does not display an image file in flash then it is not ok to reload.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I was trying to load IOS from TFTP server to flash, but getting an error message. I loaded a few different files with IOS to TFTP server, but still could not copy them to flash. I tried both connections console and ethernet (crossover cable)conectiions.

Here is an input and output:

Username: cisco

Password:

halsted_line01#enable

halsted_line01#copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host []? 10.10.10.2

Source filename []? c2800nm-entbasek9-mz.124-10.bin

Destination filename [c2800nm-entbasek9-mz.124-10.bin]?

Accessing tftp://10.10.10.2/c2800nm-entbasek9-mz.124-10.bin...

%Error opening tftp://10.10.10.2/c2800nm-entbasek9-mz.124-10.bin (No such file o

r directory)

halsted_line01#

Vlad.

Vlad

The output that you posted here indicates some issue with the TFTP server and not necessarily any problem with the router. The error indicates that the TFTP server could not find the file that you told it to load. The common causes of the TFTP server not finding the file are that there was something in the file name misspelled (what is in the output looks reasonable but I can not be certain that it is right) or that the file is not in the directory that the server is looking in. You might want to check how the TFTP server is configured, especially for what directory it is looking in for the file that it will serve. Many TFTP servers can be configured to specify a directory if you do not want to use what is its default directory. So you might want to see where it is looking and whether the image file is in that directory.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

that's great! I found a root directory of TFTP server (for some reason I did not see it in windows explorer) in TFTP server manager and copied IOS.

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,

Vlad.

Vlad

I am glad that you could find the directory and were able to copy the IOS image file to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

now I have new issue:-(. I decided to copy to flash another release of Cisco IOS. And here is a result:

halsted_line01#copy tftp: flash:

Address or name of remote host []? 10.10.10.2

Source filename []? c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin

Destination filename [c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin]?

Accessing tftp://10.10.10.2/c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin...

Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]y

Erasing the flash filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]y

Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...erased

Erase of flash: complete

Loading c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin from 10.10.10.2 (via GigabitEthernet0

/0): !!

%Error copying flash:c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin (No space left on device

)

halsted_line01#

I deleted existing IOS and sh flash command indicates that there is no files on the flash.

Any thoughts?

Vlad.

Vlad

It appears that the new image that you attempted to copy requires more flash memory than you have available on the router. In the process of the copy the router erased the content of flash but then the copy of the new file failed. So now there is no image in flash.

The good news is that the router can continue to run with no image in flash. Having an image in flash only becomes an issue when the router needs to boot. So for the time being - do NOT initiate any reboot of the router.

While the router is running you should be able to do a normal copy of the IOS image file that you are running (the one that was in flash before you erased it to make room for the new one). Once you get the image back into flash there should not be a problem.

If the router should happen to boot before you get an image into flash it would go to rommon - as it was when this discussion started. In that case you would need to use tftpdnld or xmodem to copy the image file as you did earlier in this discussion.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

that I was trying to do. I was copying IOS from TFTP to flash. Did not work.

Can I copy IOS that is currently in NVRAM to the flash w/o involving TFTP?

Flash (64 MB which should enough for IOS)has no files. It is empty.

Should I format CF?

Vlad.

Vlad

I do not see any reason to format the CF. If I understand right you had an IOS image file in the CF and then it was erased. That is not necessarily a reason to format the CF. (of course if you do format the CF I do not believe that it will harm anything)

If I understand right you had several IOS image files on the TFTP server. I suggest that you use the version that was on the CF at one point and copy it to flash again.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card