Views
Helpful
Replies

USB key for flash 2900 routers

rmcconnell
Level 1
Level 1

Gi/Gals

We have been using USB keys to update the firmware on routers  and to provide backup copies of ios (usbflash:). It seems that the 2900 series routers are a bit more selective about what USB keys they will accept, where the 2800s don't seem to care. I have tried partitioning, and a range of different formats, but other than buying the USBs from Cisco, non-Cisco USB keys don't seem to work. Does anyone have any tips here that might allow me to use  non-Cisco USB keys.

thanks

Rob

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've been using non-Cisco USB thumb drive (and non-Cisco CF) since 2007. 

Not all USB thumb drives are supported.  It gets even worst.  Let's say you have a Lexar 2Gb thumb drive that works.  So you get a bigger one of the same "model", a 4 Gb or 8Gb or 16Gb.  Guess what, they may or may not work.  The 8Gb may work but the 4Gb and 16Gb may not (or in some other insane combination). 

The main reason is because Lexar, Toshiba, 3M, etc ... They don't manufacture the thumb drives they sell.  They buy them direct from the manufacturer.  Whether or not these manufacturers follow the standard (the ones supported by Cisco), doesn't matter as long as their products can be recognized by UNIX/Linux, Apple and MS that's good enough for the companies that stamp their brand and shape. 

Recently, I found a Sandisk Cruzer Facet 8Gb and it seems to work on 3560CG and 2960S so I would assume it would work on our routers as well. 

Thanks

It appears that the answer is to buy as many keys as you can afford, and try them all.

I might see if I can find the Sandisk Cruzer 8gm.

thanks

Any other work?

Rob

It appears that the answer is to buy as many keys as you can afford, and try them all.

Sorry, but I don't know from what country you are from. 

Before I purchased the Facet from the electronics shop, I spoke to the sales people and I explained to them that is for a specific appliance (didn't bother explaining that it is a Cisco device because I sure h3ll don't want to confuse them) and if the Facet doesn't work, could I return the product and get a refund (even though I have opened the pack).  They said sure and as long as I keep the shop receipt I should be able to return and refund.  Good `nuf.

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

Were you able to find a off the shelf USB drive that worked in a 2900 router?

Nope

Seems to be a bit of pot luck.  I might add that the 2900s  2 compact flash card slots. You can put a second flash card in.

rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card