Helpful
Replies

USB to Serial - Freeze!

Peter_sgc_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Not really sure where to post this.

But for years I have been using a USB to Serial to configure devices before I have telnet access.

I use a Targus device with Putty.. But All the time after about 3 mins the screen will lock up... and I will need to reconnect.

I know my key presses are being transmitted as I can see the LED flashing, and when I connect back they are there on the command line, but nothing gets sent back to my screen.......

What do you guys use? Do I need to buy a better device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

In the first versions of putty that supported serial, I used to have problems where it would hang on me if it received too much text too fast (i.e. term len 0; show run; or even show interface and hold down space-bar ). 

I would try a newer version of putty, or other terminal emulation client altogether.  If the problem still occurs with other software, then maybe seek an updated USB->serial driver.

Good luck.

Matt

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

In the first versions of putty that supported serial, I used to have problems where it would hang on me if it received too much text too fast (i.e. term len 0; show run; or even show interface and hold down space-bar ). 

I would try a newer version of putty, or other terminal emulation client altogether.  If the problem still occurs with other software, then maybe seek an updated USB->serial driver.

Good luck.

Matt

Hey mgalazka

I got the same issue with much text, any fix ? I'm using the latest version of putty.

Any chance the PC is going into a screen saver, and dropping power to the USB port ?

Peter_sgc_2
Level 1
Level 1

Solved it with Tera-Term and a newer Win10 Compatible USB to Serial :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card