cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use back up point-to-point link while MPLS link failed.

suhas_syndrome
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to use back up point to point link while MPLS link failed.

My Hade office is connected to branches via MPLS & we have point-to-point link

Toward datacentre router.

I required use back up link

Suppose my Head office MPLS link failed all branches should be

Communicate via data centre router to Head office router using point-to-point

Link vice versa datacentre MPLS link failed branches should communicate to

Datacentre router via head office.

Please find the diagram for reference.LOAD BALANCE.jpg

suhas B,

9 Replies 9

Simon Brooks
Level 1
Level 1

No diagram.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

think you need to run dynamic routing protocol with your MPLS vendor (at least between H.O, DATA C and MPLS could).

It depends which MPLS services your get from your provider:

- if L2 VPNs (VPLS or smth like this) you can use any IGP for those purposes or even static routing with tracks (ip sla) assigned on your branch sites.

- if L3 VPNs you should negotiate with you SP (more likely it will tell you) which IGP/BGP use on link between PE (provider) and CE (you), after than you will can configure routing accordingly to your wishes

HI,

MPLS link running on BGP & we have static route on poit-to-point link

suggest how do i fix it.

Suhas B.

i presume H.O router and DATA C. router are managed by you but not by MPLS vendor? if so, routing between those two routers and MPLS vendor routers is via static routes or you run a dynamic routing protocol with MPLS vendor?

if you are using static routes in all routers that managed by you then you need to contact MPLS vendor and ask them run a dynamic routing protocol with your H.O router and DATA C. router.

or someone else may have better idea

Hi Thomas,

your question answer is yes.

see i have point-to point link between H.O router & DATA.C router with static routed configured. on MPLS BGP is running.

i required.

A,B,C BRANCHES ARE CONNECTED VIA MPLS TO H.O router & DATA.C router.

SUPPOSE MPLS LINK ON H.O router  FAILED. ALL A,B,C BRANCHES SHOULD CONNECTED H.O ROUTER VIA

DATA.C router USING POINT-TO-POINT LINK. SAME THING SHOULD BE DONE WHEN DATA.C MPLS LINK FAILED.

suhas B.

Hello Suhas,

I completely understand what you are trying to accomplish, but it can not be done easily only with static routing.

I assume that you are running iBGP with your ISP [between MPLSCLOUD - HQ and MPLSCLOUD - DATAC], correct?

Are you willing to run IGP via p2p link or do you want to use static routing? With static routes you have to also use IPSLA and route tracking and possibly PBR (policy based routing), so I would suggest to choose IGP .

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Hello Blau,

do you min i should run igp on point-to-point link?

Suhas B.

A dynamic routing protocol, say IGP (OSPF, EIGRP or RIP, whatever) or EGP (BGP), running in your HQ and DATAC routers would definitely needed to meet your requirement. And, key point is that MPLS router(s) that connect to your HQ and DATAC routers must run the same routing protocol (or if link to DATAC is down even your DATAC router send traffic to HQ, MPLS routers would not send traffic back to HQ).

simply speaking, say your choose to use EIGRP in HQ and DATAC routers to achive this then you need to ask your MPLS vendor run EIGRP too so that three routers could exchange routes or link up/down information and then send packets to a different router if a link is down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card