cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of Cisco Router in place of Window Server in LAN

zahid3963
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dears,I am making lab in GNS3 just to know whether we can use Cisco Router itself a DNS/DHCP router in LAN,like we use MS ISA server.Virtual PCs are configured to get IPs and DNS automatically via router.After configuring router,PCs can ping each other with their IPs and names but ping from router to PCs and PCs to router with names is not successful.However ping with IP address is successful.If i configure router with "IP HOST' command then ping with names is successful.But problem is that if our PCs are configured to get IP and DNS automatically and their IPs will vary each time they start because of DHCP then how we will bind their IPs with names in "IP HOST" command.

If some one has done this lab in GNS3 or in real then pls advice me.I need to check whether it is because of GNS3 or configuration error.thanku all..

file is attached..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you configure a router act as DNS server,you will need to configure NS records and NS records binds only with static ip only. As ip host command in router.

As you have configured DHCP also so it is not possible that with name you can ping as ip will be changing when ever there is dhcp query.

So my suggestion is if you want to test router works like dns server then try with static ip address and check.

Regards

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you configure a router act as DNS server,you will need to configure NS records and NS records binds only with static ip only. As ip host command in router.

As you have configured DHCP also so it is not possible that with name you can ping as ip will be changing when ever there is dhcp query.

So my suggestion is if you want to test router works like dns server then try with static ip address and check.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card