Views
Helpful
Replies

Using existing equipment to build distribution layer

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have some questions in regards to network equipment I want re-utilize for my distribution layer in one of my buildings.

The choices at the moment are:

OPTION 1.) 2x WS-3550-12G's (HSRP)

OPTION 2.) 1x WS-6509 with the following cards:

SUPERVISORS:

2x 1000BaseX Supervisor      WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE   

2x Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC        

1x 1000BaseX Ethernet        WS-X6416-GBIC      

1x 1000BaseX Ethernet        WS-X6408A-GBIC     

What option would be better from a performance aspect?  Please note that we want to have network, voice, and wireless data go through this distribution layer switch(es).

This is exisiting equipment I already have and can not buy anything else at the moment.

Thank You

2 Replies 2

Hi Latin,

You realise that you did not give us too many info to help you deciding. Nevertheless the option 1 is for sure the one you do not want unless configuring the 12g 3550 without hsrp. in the second option the only issue would be the chassis (single point of failure) but generally is possibly better promising for computational power, memory and performances. Should I chose one option I will possibly go for two 3550, again not in HSRP. Two uplinks each to the core would create a quite resilient distribution without too much config to do. Just one thing. It is quite important you limit the broadcast domains to the distribution level, therefore, if you can provide layer 3 switching upgrading the catalysts iOS it is fine, otherwise just go for the 6500

Hope this helps

Alessio

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this  posting offers the information contained within this  posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information  provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed  as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this posting's  information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For raw performance, your 3550-12G is rated at 17 Mpps and 24 Gbps (fabric), your 6500 is rated at 15 Mbps and 32 Gbps (bus).  Not a huge difference although you noted you have two 3550s which, in theory, provides 2x capacity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco