Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Using IP Routing

Hello all i am new to the cisco support community.

I have a bit of trouble in one of my cisco college classes, so i was hoping the community here could help. See our teacher has told us to mock up a network using packet tracer. We must connect a server, two routers, then a switch hooked up to four computers. The problem is none of us have any prior knowledge of how, and he didn't give us any instructions or help. I have connected everything, but i am having trouble with the routers. I am almost certain i have to use the Ip route command on the 1841 routers, i just have no idea how to use it.

Here are a list of my ip addresses:

Server - 192.168.254.254 /24

to Router 1- 192.168.254.253/24

Router 1 through serial connection - 10.10.10.6/30

To Router 2's Serial - 10.10.10.5/30     These are all same subnets

Then from Router 2's Ethernet i am hooked up to that switch and four computers

which is 172.16.255.254

I am able to ping every computer and Router 2 from one of my end computers. My problem is once i try to ping the outside address of Router 2, it's unreachable, so from any computer i cannot ping 10.10.10.5 or anything beyond to Router 1 or the Server. My question is how would i use ip route to connect this network? We have had no instruction or training on this and any help would be greatly appreciated! if anyone helps, thanks in advance!

If my picture doesn't explain it correctly or if you need more detail i can upload the picture again with captions, thanks!

Everyone's tags (7)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

sjoberg37 wrote:

Oh well im almost sure my addressing is correct, i just checked it again. But when you told me the ip route commands for router 1 and router 2, my R1 and R2 were the opposite routers. unless i assumed wrong and i am supposed to be doing exactly that. I keep getting the invalid next hop address. sorry for the confusion i am still really new at this!

Jake

On the router that connects to the server -

ip route 172.16.255.0 255.255.255.0  10.10.10.x  (where 10.10.10.x is the other routers serial interface IP)

on router that connects to LAN switch -

ip route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.y (where 10.10.10.y is the other routers serial interface IP)

Jon

12 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

sjoberg37 wrote:

Hello all i am new to the cisco support community.

I have a bit of trouble in one of my cisco college classes, so i was hoping the community here could help. See our teacher has told us to mock up a network using packet tracer. We must connect a server, two routers, then a switch hooked up to four computers. The problem is none of us have any prior knowledge of how, and he didn't give us any instructions or help. I have connected everything, but i am having trouble with the routers. I am almost certain i have to use the Ip route command on the 1841 routers, i just have no idea how to use it.

Here are a list of my ip addresses:

Server - 192.168.254.254 /24

to Router 1- 192.168.254.253/24

Router 1 through serial connection - 10.10.10.6/30

To Router 2's Serial - 10.10.10.5/30     These are all same subnets

Then from Router 2's Ethernet i am hooked up to that switch and four computers

which is 172.16.255.254

I am able to ping every computer and Router 2 from one of my end computers. My problem is once i try to ping the outside address of Router 2, it's unreachable, so from any computer i cannot ping 10.10.10.5 or anything beyond to Router 1 or the Server. My question is how would i use ip route to connect this network? We have had no instruction or training on this and any help would be greatly appreciated! if anyone helps, thanks in advance!

If my picture doesn't explain it correctly or if you need more detail i can upload the picture again with captions, thanks!

On router2

ip route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.6

on router1

ip route 172.16.255.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.5

Jon

New Member

Re: Using IP Routing

ahh thank you! but i have a problem, it says it wont work because "it's this router", any other suggestions something i mightve missed? thanks for helping me now im getting somewhere

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

sjoberg37 wrote:

ahh thank you! but i have a problem, it says it wont work because "it's this router", any other suggestions something i mightve missed? thanks for helping me now im getting somewhere

Jake

If it's saying "its this router" it means the next-hop you are entering is an IP assigned to an interface on the local router. Are you sure your addressing in the first post is correct ?

Jon

New Member

Re: Using IP Routing

Oh well im almost sure my addressing is correct, i just checked it again. But when you told me the ip route commands for router 1 and router 2, my R1 and R2 were the opposite routers. unless i assumed wrong and i am supposed to be doing exactly that. I keep getting the invalid next hop address. sorry for the confusion i am still really new at this!

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

sjoberg37 wrote:

Oh well im almost sure my addressing is correct, i just checked it again. But when you told me the ip route commands for router 1 and router 2, my R1 and R2 were the opposite routers. unless i assumed wrong and i am supposed to be doing exactly that. I keep getting the invalid next hop address. sorry for the confusion i am still really new at this!

Jake

On the router that connects to the server -

ip route 172.16.255.0 255.255.255.0  10.10.10.x  (where 10.10.10.x is the other routers serial interface IP)

on router that connects to LAN switch -

ip route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.y (where 10.10.10.y is the other routers serial interface IP)

Jon

New Member

Re: Using IP Routing

jon.marshall wrote:

sjoberg37 wrote:

Oh well im almost sure my addressing is correct, i just checked it again. But when you told me the ip route commands for router 1 and router 2, my R1 and R2 were the opposite routers. unless i assumed wrong and i am supposed to be doing exactly that. I keep getting the invalid next hop address. sorry for the confusion i am still really new at this!

Jake

On the router that connects to the server -

ip route 172.16.255.0 255.255.255.0  10.10.10.x  (where 10.10.10.x is the other routers serial interface IP)

on router that connects to LAN switch -

ip route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.y (where 10.10.10.y is the other routers serial interface IP)

Jon

Oh ok i have done that thank you very much! I had no error messages so i am assuming it worked. Now since it does work and i am not able to ping past the router still, is this because of a previous error? because if the addresses are correct it should all work out now right? and thanks much!

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

sjoberg37 wrote:

jon.marshall wrote:

sjoberg37 wrote:

Oh well im almost sure my addressing is correct, i just checked it again. But when you told me the ip route commands for router 1 and router 2, my R1 and R2 were the opposite routers. unless i assumed wrong and i am supposed to be doing exactly that. I keep getting the invalid next hop address. sorry for the confusion i am still really new at this!

Jake

On the router that connects to the server -

ip route 172.16.255.0 255.255.255.0  10.10.10.x  (where 10.10.10.x is the other routers serial interface IP)

on router that connects to LAN switch -

ip route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.y (where 10.10.10.y is the other routers serial interface IP)

Jon

Oh ok i have done that thank you very much! I had no error messages so i am assuming it worked. Now since it does work and i am not able to ping past the router still, is this because of a previous error? because if the addresses are correct it should all work out now right? and thanks much!

Jake

Can you post configs of both routers

Jon

New Member

Re: Using IP Routing

Sure no problem, here are three images showing the ip addresses and the ip routing . I hope I did this right

Jake

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

Jake

From R2 can you ping the server ?

From R1 can you ping the server

Can you do a trecroute from a client to the server

Jon

New Member

Re: Using IP Routing

Alright from R1 i can ping the server, but R2 i cant. It seems that something is wrong with the connection between R1 and 2, i just don't know what it is. I dont think it is the subnets, the ip addresses seem to be right. When i did a trace route it couldnt go past R2, so there is something stopping everything from that ethernet port.

Jake

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Using IP Routing

sjoberg37 wrote:

Alright from R1 i can ping the server, but R2 i cant. It seems that something is wrong with the connection between R1 and 2, i just don't know what it is. I dont think it is the subnets, the ip addresses seem to be right. When i did a trace route it couldnt go past R2, so there is something stopping everything from that ethernet port.

Jake

Does the server have the correct default-gateway configured on it ie. 192.168.254.253 ?

Jon

New Member

Re: Using IP Routing

A ha! You were correct! the only problem was one of the clock's speed was not set! thank you very much for this! it is all configured!

1079
Views
0
Helpful
12
Replies
CreatePlease to create content