cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using layer 3 switch 3560 etherchannelled to two 2960s flexstacked switches, how do I route vlans so can ping between them all.

dnz000001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a 3560 layer 3 switch on which I have created 4 vlans and setup the dhcp pools. Each vlan has an ip address setup as the default router and those addresses have been excluded from the dhcp pools. I have set ip routing command on layer 3 switch and also set the default gateway on the flexstack as the vlan 1 native vlans gateway and have no acl's in place.

Have also set up etherchannels to the flexstacked 2960s (two of them) from the 3560. Have set up vtp so the 3560 is the server and the flexstacked switches are the clients. This all seems to work fine I can set up interfaces on the various vlans and can get an ip, although i do have to run an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on the end devices to get the new ip addresses.

Anyway my issue is I cannot seem to ping between the vlans either on the layer 3 switch or on the flexstacked switches. Can anyone suggest some ideas as to what I would need to do as I have banged my head against a brick wall for last few days over this and got no where :-(

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

Are you doing all the inter vlan routing on the 3560 ?

If so from a client in one of the vlans -

1) can you ping the clients default gateway ?

2) can you ping from the same client an IP assigned to another of the vlan interfaces on the 3560 ?

If yes to both then -

1) from the switch can you ping a client PC

if no to the above then check for firewalls on the PCs

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

Are you doing all the inter vlan routing on the 3560 ?

If so from a client in one of the vlans -

1) can you ping the clients default gateway ?

2) can you ping from the same client an IP assigned to another of the vlan interfaces on the 3560 ?

If yes to both then -

1) from the switch can you ping a client PC

if no to the above then check for firewalls on the PCs

Jon

Hi,

Appreciate your response and you were right it was quite simply the firewalls on each end device. Cannot believe I did not try that. The group policy on the domain turns off the firewalls and I was using laptops not attache dto the domain. Doh!

Thank you for your help :-)

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card