Views
Helpful
Replies

Using SNMP to add a static route entry

andras.csaszar
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have been working for some time now on how to install a static IP route entry into a Cisco router via SNMP.

I had no access. Is it possible that Cisco routers do not support writable routing table via SNMP?

For example, the command

snmpset -v 2c -c xyz myciscoipaddr IP-FORWARD-MIB::ipCidrRouteTable.ipCidrRouteEntry.ipCidrRouteStatus.1.1.1.1.255.255.255.0.0.192.168.5.1 i 4

gives back

Error in packet.

Reason: notWritable (That object does not support modification)

Failed object: IP-FORWARD-MIB::ipCidrRouteStatus.1.1.1.1.255.255.255.0.0.192.168.5.1

I tried it on a Cisco 2600 and a Cisco 7600 as well, the same answer. SNMP-server communities and views as far as I know are configured OK.

Can anyone help in this? (Note that I know how to give a static route via CLI but I need SNMP for a specific purpose...)

Thanks in advance,

Andr?s

3 Replies 3

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

The problem here is that you have defined your community as read only. you need to set it as re-writable.

The community has RW access. Any other tips?

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

Every now and then I use SNMP to write configuration changes using Solarwinds toolset. So far I have not found any limitations; however, it does not write to those objects directly. It writes configurations to either the startup or merges with the running configuration. When merging with the running config you can change most anything including passwords, or you can remove commands. I am not sure what mib is used for the file transfer commands, but you may want to look in to doing that.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card