cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using SNMP to find Portnumber and MACadd from CATOS

dvanhoyweghen
Level 1
Level 1

It is not possible for me to get via SNMP the info (mac-add and port number from aC6509 (catos) .

What I have to config on the switch ???

And which command I have to use on my NMS ?

regards

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

Cisco switches primarily come in two flavors, CatOS (Catalyst OS) and IOS (Internetworking OS). Although Cisco is trying to migrate almost everything to the IOS type operating system on their equipment, there is still a large install base for CatOS switches. Cisco?s flag ship 6500 series switch can actually run CatOS or IOS, but most people I know run CatOS on the 6500s. Smaller switches like the 2950 and the 3550 all run IOS.

ibrunello
Level 1
Level 1

Of course you can.

I cannot explain how, but I can give you some reference.

There is an opensource project aimed at gathering such info, via SNMP, and make it searchable via web interface.

The home of the project is http://www.netdisco.org

The only two prerequisites are read-only SNMP access, and (in case you have more than one) some sort of discovery protocol (being Cisco, it should be CDP).

Dig into Netdisco docs, or post a mail to their own mailing list, and you should get the answer you search for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card