Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VACLs with MAC access-lists?

Hi,

I am trying to use VACLs with MAC access-lists to restrict IP traffic. My test box is a 3750-E and after much frustration I found the following in the documentation:

All non-IP protocols are access-controlled through MAC addresses and Ethertype using MAC VLAN maps. (IP traffic is not access controlled by MAC VLAN maps.)

Which squares up with what I found - I couldn't get IP traffic through the VACL, but the ethertype for arp worked fine, and also VACLs worked fine with IP access-lists rather than MAC.

The actual system I want to do this on though is a 6500 running 12.2 IOS. Does anyone know if the same restriction above applies - i.e. you cannot filter IP traffic using a MAC access lists on a VACL? I cant find any documentation references to this.

Thanks,

Des

2 REPLIES

Re: VACLs with MAC access-lists?

This is correct if you want to filter IP traffic you use a standard/extended ACL for ethertypes etc... you use a MAC ACL.

You can filter both types of traffic using a VACL for MAC ACL filtering under the access map you just have specify "match mac address" instead of "match ip address"

HTH

Jonathan

Re: VACLs with MAC access-lists?

Thanks. I was given the link i needed for the 6500 and it seems its the same - cannot filter normal IP traffic using a MAC access-lists, only the other ethertypes or malformed IP packets:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1726598

Cheers

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content