Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Vendor 2950 Must Use VLAN 1

A vendor is insisting their switch must run using the VLAN 1 interface and with it's ports accessing VLAN 1. I can't get rid of the vendor so I am looking for ways around this. My dilemma is the Subnet they are using for their devices and the switches VLAN 1 interface is also used for the part of the network I control and can't be changed. Is it possible to set the switch that the vendor uplinks to, to access mode on another VLAN ID (77 for example), and then the other end on the vendor switch just be set to defaults (no config on the switchport)? Will traffic still pass correctly? if i need to send traffic (as I do) to one of the vendors devices hooked up to their switch, will it still work, w/o VLAN mismatch errors?

For example can a device ip'd 10.1.1.6/24 on a switchport connected to VLAN77 talk to a device on the vendors switch that is setup as VLAN1 ip'd as 10.1.1.7/24, given that the uplink between the switches is set to access mode?

Thanks for any and all help!

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 REPLY

Re: Vendor 2950 Must Use VLAN 1

Yes it will work as you describe. Set your switchport as an access port in the VLAN you want it and leave theirs as default. You will get some error messages logged due to CDP, however you can disable CDP on that interface.

HTH

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.