cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying Serial number ?

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi, we have purchased cisco routers from a partner but for some reason we want to verify their serial numbers, is there any way we can do it ? kindly guide me in this matter

thanks

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ovais

First can we verify that it is the router chassis serial number that you want to verify rather than some other serial number (because several things on the router probably have serial numbers).

For any router the reliable way to identify the chassis serial number is by visual inspection. Look on the chassis and the chassis serial number is on a sticker on the chassis.

For some routers (or switches) you may be able to find the chassis serial number in the output of show version, or of show diag.

In recent versions of IOS there is a command show inventory and one of its output is labeled as the chassis serial number. My experience is that for the ISR routers the output of show inventory does accurately give the chassis serial number. But for most non-ISR routers the output of the command is not actually the chassis serial number.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rburts, i want to verify the serial number of router's chassis, is there any official way to verify the serial numbers ?? you are right regarding show inventory and sh diag but is it reliable ?? if some 1 is not providing us with the verified routers ( i dont know what to call them but i hope u understand )are they also able to change its chasis number in sh diag output also ?? secondly what i meant to ask is that can we send the list directly to cisco and verify from it ?? is it possible ?

thanks again in advance

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

If you have a CCO login, you might be able to use the SCC tool to do this, but I think you might have to have partner status.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/front.x/scccibdispatch?AppName=ContractAgent&Form=Home

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Sir i dont have the partner status, can i ask some1 who has it to verify serials on my behalf ?? like if u have the status can i send u few serials so that u verify for me ?

thanks

If you don't have access to the SCC tool, then I suggest you email the serial #s to brand protection. I'm sure they will be happy to respond.

brandprotection@cisco.com

Shoot them an email and ask. They will let you know info on the serials. Especially if they are on the black list! :)

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: