Views
Helpful
Replies

virtual switching system with NIC Teaming

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

when i configure 2 6500 for VSS Operation,both gonna be 1 logical switch , now what should i inform the servers team to do regarding the NIC Teaming on their server , should i say to consider the NIC Teaming as active/active? or what?pls advise me from work experience

thanks

jamil

9 Replies 9

csarto
Level 1
Level 1

LACP or Static port-channel (channel-group mode on) are better suited for bandwith optimization and fast failure recovery.

where the answer in ur reply?

thanks

Sorry, just interpret my previous answer as "Configure on the server side LACP or Static port-channel (channel-group mode on) because are better suited for bandwith optimization and fast failure recovery."

csarto is right, but it depends on what you consider "nic teaming".

Some places I've worked consider nic teaming as active/standby.  In this case, it would be like connecting the servers to the same switch.  They'd configure one nic as active, the other as standby.  You just have to have port nic-ports in the same vlan.

If they're using LACP or PAGP, then you'll have to configure your ports accordingly.

VSS would still provide the redundancy/resiliency you require, but would allow for LACP / PAGP port configuration to cross the chassis.

Ven

Ven Taylor

i mean servers NIC Teaming where no LACP or PAGP

Then it sounds like you should just put a switchport on each switch in the same vlan.  You'll still have the same redundancy.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Jamil,

Perhaps you mean some thing different.

The Term (NIC Teaming) in a Server Terminology means combining more than one Server NIC interface into A single Logical Interface. This is mostly used with HP blade Servers or EMC. and its done with Etherchannel Standard like LACP or Static One.

Anyways, if you meant to say its two different not combined interfaces, then you shouldnt say Teaming, and you can still have both work as Active/Active NICs while configuring them on the same or different Vlans.

Regards,

Mohamed

I don't know if this helps or not but I just configured a 4500 with my VM server. I used this link and so far it works perfectly.

YMMV

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004048

thanks guys

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card