Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN 1 Administratively down, protocol down

sloman61
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I have a 3560 switch and connections are fine, but the mgmt interface, VLAN1, is down since we did a passwd recovery. Is this somehow caused by the autostate feature? I don't have any other VLANs and besides one trunk I am using as simple a setup as I can..

Other details:

I have had ports going into disabled state and I may have had flapping between the trunk ports (misconfigured?) that is disabling them... not sure yet. We've just been re-enabling them in the GUI and looking into the "errdisable recovery" auto-recovery timer for disabled ports.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

A

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

A port which is "Administratively down" means that the "shutdown" command has been issued on that port.

You should simply be able to re-enable it by logging on to the switch and doing the following

switch#conf t

switch(config)#int vlan1

switch(config-if)#no shut

switch(config-if)#end

switch#copy run start

This should bring the interface up and save that state for the next switch restart.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

what does "sh ip int bri vlan1" shows?

also do a "no sh" on vlan 1 and test again.

Can you post the output of  "sh run interface vlan 1"?

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this somehow caused by the autostate feature?

In some IOS, VLAN 1 is "shutdown" by default.  Enable this with the "no shutdown" interface command.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

A port which is "Administratively down" means that the "shutdown" command has been issued on that port.

You should simply be able to re-enable it by logging on to the switch and doing the following

switch#conf t

switch(config)#int vlan1

switch(config-if)#no shut

switch(config-if)#end

switch#copy run start

This should bring the interface up and save that state for the next switch restart.

Darren - Thanks for the very succinct answer - that did it! I thought I had already done a no shut, but I must've done it on the wrong interface or something..?!

Anyway, it took me a while to be able to access the switch again due to constraints here, but its good to get that done.. finally!

Thank you very much!

A

No problems.

You mentioned this occured after you performed a password reset procedure - it's been a long time since I've had to reset passwords on a Catalyst, but from memory part of the process tells you you have to run a 'no shut' on all interfaces, because part of the password reset process shuts them all down by default.

I could be wrong on this one, though. Like I said, it's been a long time since I had to do a password reset.

Cheers.

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card