cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN 1

dgj1
Level 1
Level 1

If you change your native VLAN to something other than VLAN 1, are there any ramifications in administratively shutting down VLAN 1?

18 Replies 18

Jon,

Thank you for your responses; they were very helpful! I realize now that I probably should have phrased my questions differently or explained why I was asking them.

I recently started a new job and found that on most of the access switches, VLAN 1 was shutdown, a new routable VLAN was created for Management purposes but was also being used as the Native VLAN on the trunk. No manual pruning (switchport trunk allowed statements) have been implemented and the spanning tree design needs some work as well. That was the reason for my questions regarding the network control protocols and the native vlan vs. the management VLAN.

I was trying to figure out what was best practice and what the best approach was to remedying the current configuration. It's amazing how much conflicting documentation there is on this subject. Thank you for your patience.

I believe after reading the responses, that I should create a new routable Management VLAN and include it in the switchport trunk allowed statement. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is whether or not VLAN1 or the new Native VLAN needs to be inlcuded in the allowed statement.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is whether or not VLAN1 or the new Native VLAN needs to be inlcuded in the allowed statement.

Just included the Vlans needed on the inter-switch link. I highly recommend adding the Management Vlan in the allowed list. There isn't any need to add Vlan 1 in the allowed list. Control traffic will still continue to function.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Agree with Edison, you don't need to include vlan 1 in the allowed list.

As for the native vlan just bear in mind what Kevin has said about this. I have personally never experienced this issue but then i have never cleared the native vlan off the the trunk.

As for conflicting advice, yes it can be very confusing. Part of the problem is that Cisco best practices and recommendations can change over time so it often depends on which documentation you are referring to.

Jon

Hello Jon!

One question:

The control plane traffic that flows through vlan 1 even if it is STP blocked (only blocking user/data traffic) can or cannot be stopped too?

I would like to permit in one trunk just the VLAN data traffic and stop the control plane traffic (nothing on vlan1). Is it possible?

Thanks,

Met.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: