cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN allocation and utilization

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

I have been asked to investigate spanning tree on a customer environmant. They are using a colapsed core with two 6509 switches (hybrid mode) connected to aprox 40 access switches of different models.

I need to find out which vlans are assigned to each switch, and if the ports are active. There are aprox 100 VLANs.

Is there an easy way to do this, without logging onto each switch, running "sh vlan brief" and "sh interface status" and correlating the information.

The access switches have http off, and have snmp communities set.

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mark-

You should probably check the trunks too :-) When I go into a new client site for an assessment, I usually download and install the trial version of Solarwinds Cirrus. This tool is fantastic. You can find out everything you need (IOS version, running config, vlans, trunks, etc) by setting up a script then running it against all devices. You can have everything you need in under an hour. You'll still have to parse through the info, but you'll save a ton of time by not having to telnet into every switch. There are some build-in reports that will give you what you need as well, so check them out if you decide to try it out.

HTH

I was looking for a tool, and tried Cirrus. Looks good, but unfortunately some of the devices are so old that they do not support the necessary MIBs. So I have resourted to the old, tedious manual approach.

If you use SecureCRT, you could use VBScripts. Let me know and I can send you some examples.

Kiwi Cattools is a good s/w to try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: