cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN and Jumbo Frames

dmonk
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Netapp SAN device connected to a workgroup switch (linksys). We just purchased a 4948 and I am looking to VLAN 4 ports on the 4948 for our NETAPP and exchange servers. Can anyone help me with best practices or a best way of doing this? My idea is to VLAN the 4 required ports and simply configure the larger MTU size (jumbo frames) on this switch.

2 Replies 2

ullasupendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Check out the link for jumbo frame configs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a008010edab.shtml#c2

"I am looking to VLAN 4 ports on the 4948 for our NETAPP and exchange servers." does this mean just add those port to a particular vlan or create a vlan interface in the switch specifically for this vlan?

If its just adding to a vlan

Then use the following command in the interfaces.

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 111

Ullas

Ullas no i dont have a vlan created yet. I would have to create one. My concerns are more along the line of "is this the best most efficient method?" when dealing with storage and switch config. In other words does creating a VLAN, configuring jumbo frames, and then tagging the ports = a better method than ?????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card