cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN and Trunking between Dell Powerconnect 5224 and Cisco 3750

rblumenthal
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3750 being used as the core switch and a few Dell 5224 switches. I would like to create an additional VLAN for my development servers, but how can I configure trunking to work between the Dell and Cisco switch? Thanks

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to create the trunk normally on the Cisco, and then you need to create your trunk on the Dell.

On the Dell, you would do:

(Dell switches use a different IOS, so these commands are exact)

conf

vlan database

vlan 5,10,15

(The above will create your vlans 5, 10, 15.)

On the Dell:

exit (get out of vlan database mode)

int eth g1 <- if you have a stack, it will look like 1/g1 for first switch port g1, 2/g1 etc.

switch mode trunk

swit trunk allowed vlan add 5,10,15

That's it.

If you DON'T get it to work, I've had Dell tell me that their ports need to be configured as a general port if the trunk doesn't work:

int eth g1

switch mode general

switch general allowe vlan 5,10,15

If you have a host on a port that only needs access to vlan 5, you do it on the Dell like:

int eth g/22

swit mode access

switch access vlan 5

That's it. Everything should work. That's all we have are Dell switches for edge, and I have a 3750 as a core. Everything works great, but the Dell's are VERY basic with what you can do with them.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

awesome thank you! i am going to relay this to one of my coworkers as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco