cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN and VMWare server

morrisbk1
Level 1
Level 1

I am pretty new to this discussion, but i have a problem that i need help with. i have an ESX server in my network and i am having problem with associating a vmware host/server to a certain vlan. this is the problem:

we recently moved our data center and decided to keep all the vlans as they way they were in the old network and added some new vlan to the old ones. we moved a blade center and kept the vlan structure but decided to add a new vlan to the mix. for some reason, the old vlan work in the new enviroment, but the new vlans does not work. if my system adm. guy create a new vmware server, and try to use the same vlans that we broght over, it works fine, but when he attempts to use the new vlan we created and exteded, it does not.

the vlan was been extended to all the switches in the route, up to the switch in the blade center. the blade port/interface was trunked and all vlans is allowed, the old vlan works but the new vlan does not.

can i get some help?

10 Replies 10

Beetlejuice01
Level 1
Level 1

The new vlan created on your network and on your edge switch are allowed on the trunk? There was a filter like switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,5,10 or your trunk si full open?

yes, what I did was removed the allowed vlan statement, which in term allows all the vlans on the blade port/slot trunk.

If all you say is correct i don't see nothing wrong, and your config must work. If you can post a configuration of switch of the blade, and up to core, and a topology we can work togheter to solve this mistery.

have the config.... no sure how to add it to the reply.

beetlejuice01, i attached the config to this posting..

why you use all trunk with native vlan and do not use interface in access mode for that vlan? and ip route 0.0.0.0 etc... doesn't work if you don't enable ip routing, so remove the ip route and use the default already configured or remove the default command and enable ip routing.

I am not sure i understand your question? all of the blade ports are trunk with native vlans because each blade is cappable of having more than one vlan.

are you talking about the blade port/slot or the main switch port???

can you explain a little what you mean about your first sentence ("why you use all trunk with native vlan and do not use interface in access mode for that vlan?")

When a port is in access state the frame from the nic of the server to switch port are sent untagged but the switch tag with the id of vlan of the port the frame throught the network. You said each blade is capable of trunk, so i immagine is configured to support dot1q. When you put vlan in native state the frame is untagged, not only on the nic to switch but on all the network, so you can configure all interface with the same native vlan you used on the inter-switch trunk, and if your blade are configured to sent tagged frame tag the frame with correct vlan from the nic to default gateway through all the lan.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

seems there's a problem with VLAN configuration from VMware side How do you configure VLANs in the port groups where the new VMs in the new VLANs should be ?

---

Posted by WebUser Mohammad Al-Ammori

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card