Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Cant ping DHCP Server

Good evening, i just want to say thank you to all this amazing community you guys have been helping me a lot, i just made an account to ask my first question:

I have this topology in the attachment, and im trying to get the DHCP server to assign ip to the vlans, but i haven't been able to, im using OSPF to do the routing between the networks, im using VTP with the switches, the "Core" Switch is the server and the other ones are the clients, so far i can ping the R2 from the USER1 machine. R1  and R2 can ping each other, as well as the DHCP server, but i cant ping the R1 or the server from the vlans, what i have done:

1. Created the subinterfaces for the vlans in the R1 router
2 Assing the ip helper-address in the subinterfaces pointing to the DHCP server
3 Create the vlan pools in the DHCP server
4. Trunked the ports f0/1 and f0/3-6 in the Core switch
5. Create the vlans in the Core switch
6. Set the other switches as vtp clients with the same domain
7. Assign each vlan to its corresponding port in the vtp clients (with switchport acces vlan)
8. OSPF routing

2 Replies 2

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

On the VTP client side, enter the command ( sh vtp statistics ) and upload the result here please. I want to chick if there is any config digest error presents or not. Do it for all vtp client switchs.

Hello

This could be long post so bare with me:

Created the subinterfaces for the vlans in the R1 router ------- remove from R1
 Assign the ip helper-address in the subinterfaces pointing to the DHCP server---- on core switch
 Create the vlan pools in the DHCP server
Trunked the ports f0/1 and f0/3-6 in the Core switch
Create the vlans in the Core switch
Set the other switches as vtp clients with the same domain
Assign each vlan to its corresponding port in the vtp clients (with switchport acces vlan)
OSPF routing  R1<->R2 <->core sw

1)
All hosts to be set to dhcp

2)
All access switch NOT to have  ip routing enabled, Just acting as host switches with trunk interfaces connecting the the core switch

3)
Core switch to HAVE ip routing enabled and trunk interfaces to the access switches
L3 vlan interface for each of the subnets on the access switches
On each L3 interface apply a helper address of the dhcp server
Core switch to R2 subnet via ospf area 1 ( area 1 stub)
Core switch advertising its L3 vlans subnets in ospf

4)
R2 subnet to Core switch via ospf area 1 ( area 1 stub no-summary), with stub area (1) between core switch, the switch will be receiving default route from R2.
R2 subnet to R1 via ospf area 0

5)
Advertise ALL rtr 1 interfaces into ospf area 0

6)
DHCP server -  Same subnet of rtr  - give this an ip address/subnet/ default –gateway pointing to rtr1

Should be good to go then.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card