Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan configuration

andyrintoul
Level 1
Level 1

More Vlan inquiries.

I have just completed a vlan simulation with 2 x 2950 switches, one in server mode & one in client with a trunk between the two.On the server switch two vlans were configured (vlan08 & vlan14), ports 2 - 5 were assigned to vlan 8 & ports 6 - 10 to vlan 14. Because a trunk is configured between the two switches if I am logged in to the client switch I can view the vlan membership on the server switch.

I now want to assign a number of ports on the client switch to vlan 8, how is this done??

Must you take the client out of client mode to assign ports?? How will the new vlan membership be displayed if you use the "show vlan" command from the client switch??

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You can assing ports to any vlan on the client switch. You cannot create/delet the vlan while the switch is in VTP client mode.

To assign a number of ports to a particular vlan you can use the " range " command on the switch. Do the following:

Conf t

interface range fa0/1 - 10 <- there is a space between the numbers and -

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan XX <- vlan number

You can use " show vlan " command on the client switch to see the vlan membership

HTH,Pleae rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

walleyewiz
Level 1
Level 1

you can run the following command to add ports to the correct vlan:

interface x/x

switchport access vlan 401

switchport mode access

no logging event link-status

I assume you are talking about vtp client and server mode? You don't need to change the mode on the switch.

Also, VTP should be run in transparent mode--at least that is what most people recommend.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You can assing ports to any vlan on the client switch. You cannot create/delet the vlan while the switch is in VTP client mode.

To assign a number of ports to a particular vlan you can use the " range " command on the switch. Do the following:

Conf t

interface range fa0/1 - 10 <- there is a space between the numbers and -

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan XX <- vlan number

You can use " show vlan " command on the client switch to see the vlan membership

HTH,Pleae rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hello again

I have assigned ports on the client switch to vlans & used the "show vlan" command to confim & it shows the assignments, however when I log out of the client switch & then log back in & use the "show vlan" command again it no longer shows the assignments I had just made; can you tell me why this is??

Thanks

walleyewiz
Level 1
Level 1

you can run the following command to add ports to the correct vlan:

interface x/x

switchport access vlan 401

switchport mode access

no logging event link-status

I assume you are talking about vtp client and server mode? You don't need to change the mode on the switch.

Also, VTP should be run in transparent mode--at least that is what most people recommend.

Vishwa.Mishra
Level 1
Level 1

Add to all the reply

VTP do not carry information about what ports are assigned to vlan ,that is a local information to the switch,so to assign port to a client it could be done in normal way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco