Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan configuration

andyrintoul
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone shed some light.

If I have a number of switches in my network connected by trunks & one switch is in server mode & the rest in client mode, I understand that I create the vlans on the switch in server mode & this vlan information should propogate to all client switches.

Does this mean that for instance if I assign ports 3 to 5 on the server switch to vlan 2, that ports 3 to 5 on every client switch will also be in vlan 2???

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andrew

No it does not mean that every switch will put ports 3 to 5 into the vlan. You are talking about VTP which transmits characteristics of the vlan to other switches, but not the port assignments. Each switch makes its own port assignments, independent of what any other switch does.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Does this mean that for instance if I assign ports 3 to 5 on the server switch to vlan 2, that ports 3 to 5 on every client switch will also be in vlan 2???

No.

The dynamic VLAN propogation mechanism you are talking about is called VTP. VTP dynamically propogates the VLANs created on the VTP server to the other client/server switches in the same VTP domain.

You would still have to access every switch to assign ports to the appropriate VLANs. The only thing you don't need to do is not having to create the VLANs in the other switches when VTP is enabled.

HTH

Sundar

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

The VTP server will propagate all the VLANS to all the VTP clients. Each port on the VTP client switch must be configure to your desired VLAN. Also make sure that you only have one VTP server if you add a switch in your network and accidentally that switch is set to VTP server with higher revision, it will take over as the VTP server.

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andrew

No it does not mean that every switch will put ports 3 to 5 into the vlan. You are talking about VTP which transmits characteristics of the vlan to other switches, but not the port assignments. Each switch makes its own port assignments, independent of what any other switch does.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the help

No.

The dynamic VLAN propogation mechanism you are talking about is called VTP. VTP dynamically propogates the VLANs created on the VTP server to the other client/server switches in the same VTP domain.

You would still have to access every switch to assign ports to the appropriate VLANs. The only thing you don't need to do is not having to create the VLANs in the other switches when VTP is enabled.

HTH

Sundar

Thanks for the help

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

The VTP server will propagate all the VLANS to all the VTP clients. Each port on the VTP client switch must be configure to your desired VLAN. Also make sure that you only have one VTP server if you add a switch in your network and accidentally that switch is set to VTP server with higher revision, it will take over as the VTP server.

Much appreciated

To add to all this the port informtion is local to the switch and VTP do not carry that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card