cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan doesn't work

mlatterell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. I have what is hopefully a very easy/newbie question. I work for a nonprofit that received a WS-C2960S-24TS-L as a donation. We want to create a VLAN on a single port that is connected to a 5-port switch to segment the computers used by our participants from our office computers.

I believe I followed the steps correctly to telnet to the device, create the VLAN and then assign a port to the VLAN. However when I plug the switch (or even just a single computer) into the jack connected to that port the computer is unable to resolve an IP address (Windows 7 reports that it won't connect tho my location network or the Internet). I have tried creating the VLAN on a different port, tried different cables but the same results. The VLAN port on the Cisco lights up green when I connect to it, but the computer/s on the receiving end don't get a conection. Am I missing a command I should issue once the VLAN is created and the port is assigned? It seems like it should be a straight-forward process but it just doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To add a new vlan just do this.   How is the the 2960 hooked to the rest of your network and where is your dhcp server located? 

conf t

vlan X

exit

interface g0/X

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

As said, you need to elaborate more on your topology.

The reason it's not working is as you have just simply placed it within a VLAN, this means it is isolated and therefore cannot communicate with anything else!

Martin

vishal vyas
Level 1
Level 1

creating vlan provide you layer-2 connectivity thats why your port on switch turns green, but in order to connect with network you also need layer-3 connectivity by assigning an ip address.

example:

vlan 10

exit

interface vlan 10

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

interface g0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

no shut

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card