Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN ID

marcus.backman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with my 2950 switch. Basically, I have a custom made device which has two ports with the same MAC-address (not desirable to change it). There also exists a client with two ports (device_port1 <--COM--> client_port1, device_port2 <--COM--> client_port2) that communicates with this device, and I would the switch to manage the traffic.

I have tried to setup two VLAN's; VLAN_port1 and VLAN_port2, and also static MAC addresses for VLAN_port1 so that packets are forwarded correctly to device_port1 (no ARP-server); and vice versa for VLAN_port2.

The problem is that packets received on device_portx is injected with a VLAN_ID field in the ethernet header, which the device can not interpret. Is it possible to disable this injection ? I just want to "split" the switch.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

It seems that just configuring your ports as "access" versus trunks should be the solution to your problem:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan XXX

(where XXX is VLAN_port1 or VLAN_port2).

The static mac address should not be necessary.

Regards,

Francois

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Marcus,

I don't know if I understood your situation but what I can see you need to creat two VLANs which you did. THen assign

Device_port1 and Client_Port 1 to same VLAN100

Device_port2 and Client_port 2 to same VLAN200

The VLAN_ID should not affect the port. Treat the port as normal LAN interface.

I don't know if I could help,

Please let me know,

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card