Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN ID

marcus.backman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with my 2950 switch. Basically, I have a custom made device which has two ports with the same MAC-address (not desirable to change it). There also exists a client with two ports (device_port1 <--COM--> client_port1, device_port2 <--COM--> client_port2) that communicates with this device, and I would the switch to manage the traffic.

I have tried to setup two VLAN's; VLAN_port1 and VLAN_port2, and also static MAC addresses for VLAN_port1 so that packets are forwarded correctly to device_port1 (no ARP-server); and vice versa for VLAN_port2.

The problem is that packets received on device_portx is injected with a VLAN_ID field in the ethernet header, which the device can not interpret. Is it possible to disable this injection ? I just want to "split" the switch.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

It seems that just configuring your ports as "access" versus trunks should be the solution to your problem:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan XXX

(where XXX is VLAN_port1 or VLAN_port2).

The static mac address should not be necessary.

Regards,

Francois

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Marcus,

I don't know if I understood your situation but what I can see you need to creat two VLANs which you did. THen assign

Device_port1 and Client_Port 1 to same VLAN100

Device_port2 and Client_port 2 to same VLAN200

The VLAN_ID should not affect the port. Treat the port as normal LAN interface.

I don't know if I could help,

Please let me know,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: