Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan information to be propagated through extended lan

NacroFirewall
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

We are planning to move our co-location centre to a new provider and as a part of smooth migration we are installing 100 Mb dedicated link between our co-location centres. Now we are running 10 vlans in our current datacentre and we want to replicate the same vlans at our new datacentre. I can use static routes or any routing protocol to route the defined subnets to new centre. However I need to propagate the Vlan information which are currently in our existing datacentre to the new datacentre. Will that be achievable through VTP server- Client mechanism or does it need any other configuration or connectivity.

Regards,

Prasant.Ch

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Prasant,

if you have purchased a L2 transport service you can think of extending the vlans using VTP:

in this case you can connect to the service provider with a L2 trunk.

But the service provider can choice to transport or to block your VTP frames (l2 protocol transport over 802.1Q in Q)

if you have taken a L3 service you can emulate a L2 transport service using L2TPv3 vlan based.

In this case I think you should configure two VTP servers on each side and define the same set of vlans.

Doing this is probably safer in both scenarios.

if the service is L3 I would consider if extending the vlans is needed or not.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: