Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN interface is up and strange VTP issue

Hi

I have two problems with a 2950 switch that I think might be related, just a hunch. The switch is connected to our core Cisco network over a dot1q trunk carrying some 20 VLANs. One of these VLANS is our admin network, VLAN 10, that the switch has a VLAN interface assigned to it.

Now, the troubling thing is that in our network I have a VTP domain set up that isn't propagated to the 2950 switch. As a test I disconnected the network cable connecting the 2950 to our core and to my surprize the VLAN 10 interface remained up. The switch logged that the physical interface went down but never the VLAN interface.

No VTP is annoying but the VLAN interface remaining up is just strange.

Any ideas?

/Fredrik

• LAN Switching and Routing
3 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

having a trunk interface with that vlan allowed and which is forwarding for this vlan in STP is enough to have the SVI up.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Yes, having a trunk with VLAN for the interface should be enough. The SVI is up but never goes down when the trunk is disconnected.

Purple

Hi,

are there other ports in vlan 10 in STP forwarding state ? if so that's why the SVI stays up.

sh spanning-tree vlan 10 output will tell you.

Regards

Alain

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.