cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN IP address

Eric Tan
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, may i ask something on VLAN IP address.

is it necessary to assign IP address to VLAN beside you need to do routing on Layer 3  ?

Say i create Vlan 192 => 192.168.1.x /24

All the servers uses static IP. I have a load balancer assign as 192.168.1.1

If i assign the IP range to Vlan 192, there will be a log about mac address duplication.

So do I change the Vlan IP to 192.168.1.2 instead ?

is there any implication ?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not assign an IP to the L3 vlan interface (SVI) for that vlan then you cannot route that vlan.

You can assign any IP from the subnet range to the SVI.

It's not clear exactly what you are asking though. You have a load balancer using 192.168.1.1, is that device in vlan 192 ?

Jon

Yes the LB is in same Vlan 192. I guess I got the duplicate error when i assign Vlan 192 as

Hi,

The implications are that any devices which live on that vlan + want to route traffic to a different subnet, need to be configured with the svi ip address as their default gateway. i.e. if you change the svi ip address without changing the host's default gateway address, you will stop these hosts from reaching remote destinations..

Please excuse me if I have not understood your requirements properly.

HTH

Mike

Hello

if you mean having these devices in that specific ip range just connect to each other then there is no need for a L3 vlan, they just need to be in the same L2 vlan.

But as Jon stated if you need these devices to connect to other vlans then you will need a l3 interface  be it an SVI on a L3 switch or a router to perform the routing.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco