Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Management and IP assignment

danabersoch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what IP addresses to give to my management vlan on the switches in my network?

I have 3 LAN's but I think getting a result for one can probbably apply to the other 2.

There are 8 or so switches, some of the access layer switches have multiple vlans on them, trunked to another switch which is then trunked to another switch (there is some other switches about for redundancy but prob irelevant) which is then trunked to a router (with 3 sub interfaces for routing between vlans).

My management vlan is 99 and I was going to give "management" a subnet of its own in relation to IP addresses on interfaces vlan99  of the switches.  I struggled when I realised it needs a default gateway.

Do I need to create another sub int on the router for vlan 99 or do I choose one of the LAN vlan's gateway??

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

danabersoch wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what IP addresses to give to my management vlan on the switches in my network?

I have 3 LAN's but I think getting a result for one can probbably apply to the other 2.

There are 8 or so switches, some of the access layer switches have multiple vlans on them, trunked to another switch which is then trunked to another switch (there is some other switches about for redundancy but prob irelevant) which is then trunked to a router (with 3 sub interfaces for routing between vlans).

My management vlan is 99 and I was going to give "management" a subnet of its own in relation to IP addresses on interfaces vlan99  of the switches.  I struggled when I realised it needs a default gateway.

Do I need to create another sub int on the router for vlan 99 or do I choose one of the LAN vlan's gateway??

You would need to create a new L3 subinterface on the router if you use a new IP subnet for managing the switches.

Jon

Ive given all the swiches IP addresses of 172.16.19.0 /28  and the routers sub interface an ip address in the same range and give the switches that ip as their default gateway.

I still cant remotely go into a switch from another switch or pc I get this every time:

Switch#172.16.19.2
Trying 172.16.19.2 ...Open

[Connection to 172.16.19.2 closed by foreign host]

does anyone recognise the problem??

thanks a lot Dan

I can get from switch to switch ok now after configuring passwords but I still cant

get from a pc to any of the switches?? Is it because they are on diferent

subnets? I wouldnt have though so because all the subnets are going into the same router so they can communicate??

danabersoch wrote:

I can get from switch to switch ok now after configuring passwords but I still cant

get from a pc to any of the switches?? Is it because they are on diferent

subnets? I wouldnt have though so because all the subnets are going into the same router so they can communicate??

Can you ping the switch IP from the PC ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card