cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Missmatch Issues

Skawilly1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Cisco Goers. My first post here, thanks for the forums.

Going to keep my question brief for now as it is pretty straight forward. Is there a way to gracefully move an IP address on an SVI from one VLAN to another without destroying the IP address?

example:

Interface VLAN 100 has IP 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 and I want to move that IP to interface VLAN 500. What I dont want to do is 'no ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0' on VLAN 100 first then 'ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0' on VLAN 500.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not aware of a way to do that unless you use VRFs but I suspect that you don't want to do that. 

Other than that you would have to remove it first. 

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not aware of a way to do that unless you use VRFs but I suspect that you don't want to do that. 

Other than that you would have to remove it first. 

Jon

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not sure how familiar you are with CLI, but it should take an instant if you put the configuration commands in a notepad and just copy and paste them in. For example:

!

interface vlan 100

no ip address

!

interface vlan 500

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

!

You could also have the reverse commands to put it back at the ready if needed.

Hi

I agree with Jon, an option is using VRF, now if you want to avoid any impact, I recommend request a maintenance window and do that after business hours and change the VLAN 100 to 500 to the users. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I suspect no matter how you try this, there's likely going to be some brief impact to active traffic using that IP (if that's what you're trying to avoid).

Even the suggestions using VRFs, which would allow both IPs to be active within different routing topologies is likely to be impactful as other hosts try to use the IP if its intended to be globally unique.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: