Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN newbie

Hi!

I want to switch from netgear to cisco so I bought a SG200-26. I was able to set up VLANs on the netgear, but somehow I have trouble to do it on the cisco. Searching the forum and the internet didn't helped me. Ich think I understand the VLAN configuration, but... well, I have the following config:

I added one additional VLAN: 233 (=subnet) and configured it on two ports:

Interf.      Mode     Admin-VLAN     Operational-VLAN

2     general     1U     1U

3      general      1U,233UP    1U,233UP

4      general      1U,233UP    1U,233UP

Port 3 is connected to the subnet xxx.yyy.233.zzz with a working dhcp-Server. On Port 4 ist a win7 Laptop with dhcp configuratrion on. The laptop is not getting an IP. :-(

Traffic shoud flow between 3 an 4, right?

I administer the switch from Port 2 with an Laptop manually set to 192.168.1.2.

Best regards

Henry

3 REPLIES
Purple

VLAN newbie

Hi,

the port 3 where the server is located should be a trunk port( with native VLAN 1) and port 4 should be an access port in VLAN 233.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

VLAN newbie

Hi Alain,

thanks for the quick response. I wasn't able to test it, because they (higher level IT) disabled my network. They have a BPDU guard active. The STP was active on my SG200, so my port was immediatly disabled.

My goal is to have 3 or 4 different VLANs/subnets on the switch. They do not have to talk to each other and every VLAN will have an "upstream" link. There will be no other switches, just servers or NAS attached to the SG200.

Can I prevent the switch from sending BPDUs (on the "upstream ports)? When I deactivate STP and RSTP?

Regards

Henry

VLAN newbie

or can I have STP enabled and just set "BPDU Handling" to "filtering". It is unclear to me wether "filtering" means incoming or outgoing packets.

Views
Helpful
Replies