Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN not working

I was adding another 2960 (SW2) switch to a 2960 (SW1) switch.  The 2960 (SW1) is plugged into a 4006.  I configure VLAN 99 on the 4006 and on the 2960 (SW1).  All the devices were working with no problems until I plugged in SW2.  All ports in between the switches are trunked and SW1 VTP status is transparent.  Well, when I pulled in SW2 into SW1 all the devices in VLAN 99 were not able to connected to anything outside of VLAN 99.  When I looked at SW2 the VTP status was set to Server.  I changed the status to transparent on SW2 but VLAN 99 still does not work properly.  I have an older 3548 switch that has VLAN 99 configure and those devices work on VLAN 99 have no problems.  Has anyone ran into this issue and fixed it?  I have seen postings from some other blogs about deleting the VLAN on the 2960 and recreating it.  I have seen some postings off reloading the switch.  Currently,  I moved all the devices on VLAN 99 to the working 3548 switch.

4 REPLIES

Re: VLAN not working

Check the config on both 2960s.  Did you remember to recreate vlan 99 and place the ports back in?

I just cleared the switchport access vlan 99 on all the ports, removed the interface for VLAN 99, and went into the vlan database to delete VLAN 99.  Then I added everything back and I can not ping the gateway on the 4006 sourcing from the interface VLAN 99 address on SW1.

Purple

If you do a show vlan . does vlan 99 show up ?  Did you create vlan 99 on the new switch seeing it is transparent ?   If yes then your trunks are not setup or working correctly.

SW1 did not have an interface VLAN 99 on it until after the fact.  VLAN 99 interface on the 4006 is up/up.  The VLAN 99 was created on SW1.  The 4006 has switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q and switchport mode trunk.  SW1 has switchport mode trunk.  It does sound like trunking is not working correctly.  Should I remove trunking from both sides and recreating trunking?  I could rebuild the switch since no one is on it but I like to troubleshoot this just in case I run into this issue again on a more used switch.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content