Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan on pfsense with 2 nics

t80243280
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

lan1 is 192.168.0.0/24 with a dhcp server on 192.168.0.8 (GW 192.168.0.1)..no vlan set

All of the stuff i am describing below is working without vlan (if i attach a switch on the pfsesne lan side and make test with access point connected to it)..

I have to use vlan to add another dhcp server (the pfsense server) on my network.

I wanna make another wireless lan access to internet but not to lan1..so the wan on pfsense belong to my default lan.

I ve got pfsense on a basic computer with 2 nics:

- 1 NIC for the the pfsense lan side (with dhcp (192.168.10.0/23 start at 192.168.10.11),firewall rules..squid and radius server)..connect to a port which is vlan 40 (let say) and wireless access point belong to vlan 40 as well and configured for radius access.

- 1 NIC (192.168.0.49/24)for the wan pfsense side (which is actually belonging to my lan..see above) belonging to the default vlan..should be vlan 1.

The question is : does 2 NICS on a same computer and not belonging to the same vlan are making automatically intervlan or not ?

in another word, does a wireless client let say 192.168.11.10 will have access to the GW which is on default vlan (192.168.0.1) (without speaking about firewall rules).

Hope it's clear enough.

Thanks for help,

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The question is : does 2 NICS on a same computer and not belonging to the same vlan are making automatically intervlan or not ?

Depends on whether you have enabled IP routing between the NICs.

Edit - or disabled it ie. some OS version have it enabled by default and some don't.

Jon

There is a nat between them (pfsense act like a rooter)..as the pfsense lan client are able to ping the GW(192.168.0.1 on NW 192.168.0.0/24) and access to Internet.

I make this pfsense server server for this scope..build a wireless segment with AP(s) on the lan side of pfsense..then ..add some rule to make them just access to Internet through my primary lan GW.

May be i am not asking in the right forum...thought vlan's rules were the same for all kind of OS...as OS is an upper layer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card