Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

VLAN on VLAN

We have hired three vlans that terminates on our headquater, on each side of the hired vlan I have cisco a 2960 switch. The uplink port is a 802.1Q trunk port on every switch. When i launch CNA i see all my switches and a nice color that conntects the native vlan (1). Now, can I add another vlan on that vlan without any problems? I have tried once, dident get it to work .. any tips?

4 REPLIES

Re: VLAN on VLAN

Hi Tom,

Do I understand correctly you have a SP providing VLAN services for 3 VLANs connecting 3 sites to the HQ?

What exactly do you mean by "can I add another vlan on that vlan"? What do you try to achieve?

I am not quite sure, but it sounds like you would like to enable QinQ. This will potentionally allow you to transport your internal VLANs across a provider VLAN.

But the 2960 Switches do not support this.

You would need a Catalyst 3750 to get the QinQ feature.

If I am mistaken about your requirements, please describe them in more detail.

Regards, Martin

Yes, our SP is providing one vlan that connects 3 other offices through our city network and I want to split them with VLAN over the vlan (if that is possible) Sorry if i explaind wrong before.

Hello Tom,

there are several hardware options to do "IEEE 802.1Q Tunneling". You can check it f.e. with the feature navigator (www.cisco.com/go/fn).

Unfortunately the Catalyst 2960 does not.

So you would need at least a Catalyst 2970 or above.

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

Yes, our SP is providing one vlan that connects 3 other offices through our city network and I want to split them with VLAN over the vlan (if that is possible) Sorry if i explaind wrong before.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content